The error “ There is no media in the specified device ” has different causes as well as resolution methods, so solving this problem can be as simple as activating the USB drive or using the CHKDSK command for error repair. Therefore, in the following post you will learn in detail each of the possible solutions to the error and the most frequent causes that originate it.
Next, the most common possible causes that could cause this error will be named:
- Physical damage to the USB terminal.
- The USB drive could contain a virus or malware.
- Master Boot Record (MBR) corruption.
- I/O device errors.
Methods to solve the error “There is no media in the specified device” will be described below. Remember to try various alternatives until you find the right one for your particular situation.
Check USB ports
It is recommended to check the ports as they may be slightly faulty or completely damaged. Try plugging the terminal into other USB docks, preferably the ones located behind the CPU.
Using CHKDSK and changing the drive letter
Changing the device’s drive letter and running CHKDSK to fix the errors is one of the best methods to recover a USB. To do this you will have to do the following:
- Open “ Run ” using “ Windows + R ” keys.
- Type “ diskmgmt.msc ” and press “ Enter ”.
- Look for the flash module that says “ No media ” and right-clicks on it.
- Choose the “ Change drive letter and paths… ” option.
- Press the “ Change ” button and select the new letter to assign to the drive. Finally, accept all the changes.
With this you will have changed the letter automatically assigned to the storage device. Next you will have to run CHKDSK to repair USB errors :
- Open the “ Run ” window again, type “ cmd ” and press the “ Enter ” key.
- When the Command Prompt opens, you must enter the following “ chkdsk (The letter assigned manually): /R ” and press the “ Enter ” key again.
- Wait for the process to finish, restart the PC and check if the problem is fixed.
Repair Master Boot Record (MBR)
The boot record is an important part present in USB sticks and hard drives. If this is damaged, it will be necessary to use a Partition Manager. Some that could be used are: EaseUS Partition Master, Paragon Partition Manager and MiniTool Partition Wizard.
Restore USB drive
Manufacturers usually release their own tool to repair their devices. It is recommended to look for the program made by the creator of the terminal that has faults. However, you have the following functional alternatives: EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard, USB Repair or MiniTool Partition Wizard, which are useful to perform this kind of tasks.
Another common method is to examine the device’s power supply. The cable is often damaged and does not transmit the energy necessary for the correct operation of the equipment.
Also, having the computer re-examine the attached drives may solve the problem. For this type “ Disk Management ” in the search bar and press “ Enter ”. Locate the “ Action ” button at the top of the box, drop down the options and select “ Rescan disks ”. At the end of the process restart the PC and check the USB.
By following each of the proposed alternatives, you will be able to obtain a solution to such an annoying error.