It is very common that the error 0x80080008 appears when updating or installing Windows 10. Consequently, it prevents the update from being carried out correctly. Causes of this error include a poor Internet connection or firewall interference. Therefore, the causes and solutions to this error will be detailed below.
Common causes of error 0x80080008 include not being properly connected to the Internet, a virus threat being detected, or Windows Update being misconfigured.
Below we will point out a list of possible solutions to repair the error 0x80080008 efficiently.
Check Internet connection
The first solution is to rule out a problem with the network, you can do this by checking the computer’s network card or checking the connection.
To start enter the command “ Windows ” + “ S ”. Then type in the Windows search “ Check network status ”. Select “ Network Troubleshooter ”, this will start the diagnosis. If it detects any problem, it proceeds to solve it and finally restarts the PC.
Unknown software that you have recently downloaded can cause the antivirus to hinder its installation and cause the error 0x80080008. To stop its analysis, take a look at these steps:
- Go to Windows Start, there select “ Settings ”.
- Now choose “ Update and security “.
- Click on “ Windows Security ” and enter “ Virus & Threat Protection ”. Then select “ Manage settings ”.
- Disable each of the options shown on the screen: “ Real-time protection ”, “ Cloud-based ”, “ Automatic sample sending ”, and finally, “ Protection against tampering ”.
- You will receive a system alert indicating the risks of disabling the antivirus.
- Finish the installation of the unknown software and activate the antivirus again.
Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
If installing a Windows 10 update fails, you can run the Updates troubleshooter. You can do as follows:
- Go to “ Start ” and then “ Settings ”.
- Under the “ Update and security ” list, click on “ Troubleshoot ”.
- Choose “ Windows Update ” and then “ Run the troubleshooter ”.
- In case you find any failure, click on fix and finally restart the computer.
Build a Manual Windows Update Troubleshooter
The file must have a “ .bat Extension ”, this is intended to reset Windows Update settings. To do so you must follow this procedure:
- Simultaneously press the “ Windows ” + ” R ” keys.
- In the window that will appear on the screen, type ms-settings:yourinfo, then click “OK”.
- Make sure it reads Administrator below the username, and in a notepad, copy and paste the commands recommended by Windows Support: net stop bits net stop wuauserv net stop appidsvc net stop cryptsvc
Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr*.dat
Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak
Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak
sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
cd /d %windir%\system32
netsh winsock reset
netsh winhttp reset proxy
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start appidsvc
net start cryptsvc
wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
ping localhost -n 40 >nul
- Save this file as “Repair.bat”, preferably on the desktop.
- Go to the file and right click. Next, select “Run as administrator”.
- You must wait for the loading process of the Windows store to finish and finally, restart the computer.
Check BITS and Windows Update
The BITS services “Background Intelligent Transfer Service” and ” Window Update ” can identify and solve problems in Windows updates. The verification procedure is detailed below:
- Press “ Windows ” + “ S ” and in the dialogue window, type “ Services ”.
- Locate the “ Background Intelligent Transfer Service ” service and right-click it.
- Next, go to “ Properties ” and check if the status of the service is set to “ Execution ”. If it is stopped, select “ Start ” and under “ Startup type ” click “ Automatic ”.
- In the “ Recovery ” option, set the first and second to “ Restart service ”, then click “ OK ”. Execute the same procedure with the “ Windows Update ” service and select “ OK ” at the end.
- Finally restart the computer.
Repair damaged files
When there is a compromised file in the Operating System that is causing an error, you should do a quick scan to fix it. To do this, you need to open “ Command Prompt ” as an administrator and enter the code sfc/scannow.
Then the system scan will start and automatically the problems will be solved. Then enter “Command Prompt ” again and type these commands: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth. To finish, restart your computer.
As you have seen, there are various solutions for error 0x80080008 in Windows 10. Remember that in case the fault persists, you should try other alternatives until the problem is solved.