The “ Windows could not automatically detect network proxy settings” error is a common error that can be generated by Windows, preventing the Operating System from accessing the Internet. This problem can be solved by modifying the proxy settings, checking the IP, checking the network with ‘inetcpl’ or using command prompts.
The methods outlined below will help troubleshoot your network proxy settings and the link it makes between your computer and the Internet connection.
Shut down and restart the router and computer
The fastest and easiest first method will be to turn off and turn on both the Router and the PC. This might automatically fix the issue.
Check IP configuration
The proxy error may be related to the IP configuration of the computer. In the following way, you will be able to check if the fault stems from this variant :
- Go to “Windows Settings” and choose “Network and Internet”.
- When entering, select “Ethernet” or “Wi-Fi” in the column on the left side. This will depend on the means you have used to connect to the browser.
- In the “Related setting options” category, click “Change adapter options”.
- The Control Panel will open, in the “Network Connections” alternatives, right-click on “Ethernet” or “Wi-Fi”, depending on your case.
- Select “Properties”.
- In the “Network Features” window, choose “Internet Protocol Version 4”.
- Then press the “Properties” button below.
- In the new window that will appear, verify that the option “Obtain the address automatically” is selected.
- To finish, restart the computer and the Router.
Use the troubleshooter
You can use Windows Network Diagnostics to try to fix the problem automatically. To do this, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the network icon (located at the bottom right of the taskbar).
- Choose the “ Troubleshoot ” option.
- Wait for Windows Diagnostics to detect the problem and fix it automatically.
Another option you have is to run the Network Troubleshooter. Which you can find this through the following path: “Right click on the network symbol> Open Network and Internet Settings> Status> Network troubleshooter> Wait for a diagnosis and automatic repair of it”.
Via Command Prompt
If you prefer to use the Command Prompt, remember that you must run this console as an administrator, looking for its name in the start menu. When entering, try to reset your IP with these commands, write them in the order indicated:
- netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
- netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
- ipconfig /release and press Enter.
- ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
- ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
Note: If for some reason it doesn’t work, enter the command “ netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt ” to reset it.
Check the network with inetcpl
If with the above steps, the Windows error with the proxy continues, it may be due to a failure of the LAN configuration. Check it as follows:
- Press the “ Windows ” keys and the letter “ R ” together.
- When the “Run” window opens, type “inetcpl.cpl” and click “OK”.
- A “Properties: Internet” dialog box will open, choose the “ Connections ” tab and then press the “ LAN Settings ” button.
- A new “Local Area Network (LAN) Settings” window will be displayed.
- There mark the option “ Automatically detect settings ”, press “OK” and restart the equipment.
Check proxy settings
If the problem persists, another suitable method is to check your proxy settings. To do this, detail these steps:
- Enter the “Windows Settings” from the start bar.
- Once there, select “Network and Internet”.
- In the side list choose the “Proxy” option.
- Entering activates the option “Automatically detect settings”.
- Further down, in “Manual proxy configuration” delete the data of the proxy you were using.
- Restart the devices again and check if the failure is fixed.
How this error usually appears
The pop-up messages that Windows can send to notify you of this failure are the following:
- Windows cannot detect proxy settings.
- Windows could not automatically detect the proxy server.
- Windows will not save proxy settings.
- Windows proxy settings keep changing.
- Windows proxy settings are not saved, they change.
If the PC has shown you these messages at any time, you can be sure that with the methods described above, you will be able to solve the problem without any problems.